Wednesday 5 August 2009

Makes Grown Men Blush

Apparently I do. I found out accidently last night when I offered to do some extra cleaning in a room that is usually off limits to me. I offered to do some vacuuming and then clean the glass doors. As I was finishing off the man suggested I put out some sort of sign when I’m cleaning the toilets. Some of them get embarrassed walking in on me. I thought well how do you think I feel? And later how embarrassed do you think I feel doing this job? I might have said it at the time if I’d thought it but all I could say is “sorry.” I didn’t mean to! It’s not like I’m looking. And besides it can’t upset them that much. They either say “oops” and leave or carry on and have a piss. Now that’s embarrassing.

It’s weird to know they talk about me. I want to be invisible but at the same time hate being ignored. Talking to him last night about the toilet thing was interesting, gave me a new perspective. Later on I talked to someone else when we shared an elevator up to level one. I asked him about his job. It was good but also shows how periphery I am there. Seems to be the nature of the job though. I can’t wait to get away from it.


1 comment:

GarryN said...

Funny thing, a friend of mine is a maintenance plumber in a city high rise. When he is working in the ladies he always puts a sign outside but some women just don't care and take up the stall next to him as if he isn't there. Said he has seen some interesting thing reflected up off the shiny floors.