Wednesday 13 January 2010

Getting Lackey


I’ve been trying to get a new job since I can’t stand my cleaning one. I’ve been applying to stuff in television, when I can find it, or entry level things in retail or admin – where people with arts degrees go to forge a funky/alternative existence.

Last month in my random job search on Seek I came across a job for a Deputy Editor at Crikey.com Looking at the criteria I decided I could do most of those things, maybe fake the rest. It didn’t matter really as I found the ad after the due date but they had given a name and an email address of someone to apply to. A real person rather than the standard Seek procedure. Finally taking the advice of friends I decided I would apply to them directly, as a shit kicker. The office lackey, basically willing to do anything for some experience and a job that won't embarrass me. In the original ad they asked for a sample of writing. I collected some posts on cleaning from this blog. Although I realise now that Lust And Dust would have better examples of how much I hate cleaning. I did this last night and I don’t really know what to expect. I very rarely hear from anyone when I send off resumes. (And I don’t send off enough of them!) It was worth a shot anyway.

In the meantime I haven't done much with my script. I was tempted to send David an email saying I don't think I am a writer and thanks for the help anyway. I'm glad I didn't send that. Yesterday on my way to work I re-read the script treatment and it's not a bad story. It does seem like a bit of work though. I keep staying up late and getting up late so I fuck myself over and don't get much of anything done before work. Fear of failure if ever I saw it. I should at least take the first step and re-read my script. David's already seen that and gone through it with yellow highlighter. He didn't tell me to give up then. But I'm still scared it will lead to nothing.

In a book shop near work I've found a special Go Girl! bag that comes with two books I've already read. I sort of want that bag, like a good luck charm. I also saw an Oscar the Grouch toy I think I could attach to my back pack. I thought, "Which one am I? The cleaner or the script writer?"

Is it too obvious to say I’m lacking something?


2 comments:

Square Eyes said...

Last night after work I checked my email. There was something from the other job I applied to recently. It simply reads:

"Hello Amy
thank you for your application, which has been unsuccessful.
Good luck with your future endeavours."

Harsh. (Another ego blow. And I'm telling you it's not fighting fit at the moment). Frankly I think it's much better NOT to hear from them.

God! I'm an Oscar aren't I?

Not worth a post of its own.

GarryN said...

Keep on trying babe, eventually something will try up.