Tuesday 29 July 2008

Write Away

Thanks to my despicable chat addiction, made worse of late due to the re-discovery of how to get back into the Yahoo chat rooms, I was able to discover late last night that I got a positive response to a writing job I applied to on Friday.

It was posted on Seek. Now I know enough about the industry that it’s rather uncommon to see jobs for scriptwriters and the like posted online. It’s even rarer when it’s for people just starting out. The word “Professional” comes to mind when I think about the Film/Television/Radio jobs section. Really it’s all social networking and initiative; now you see why I haven’t got anywhere!

It felt too good to be true when I was applying. Then afterwards rather dodgy when I tried to Google the production company and couldn’t find them. They are called Rayon Productions. The best I got was a history of the production and creation of rayon. Yes, I was a bit suspicious. I have now Googled the name of the person who responded. That got me the results I was looking for. Including an entry in the Internet Movie Database. I wouldn’t call it reliable but it’s a site I enjoy searching while on a hunt for trivia. It reassured me.

So what did they say? Well they invited me to a “general writers meeting” this Thursday afternoon. I would love to go but, (you knew there had to be a but), it’s up in Sydney. I already replied saying it was unlikely that I could go. (Who knows though? I might be able to think up some way to get there. It’s a pity it’s happening so soon. I can be quite cunning given the opportunity). I asked if there was anything else I could do to show I was keen. And I am. I would love a chance to write a script. If I’m lucky I’ll hear back from them.


No comments: