Tuesday 14 June 2011

Transition



On Friday June 10th I was offered a new job doing data entry for the Sensis branch of Telstra. Of all the jobs I’ve applied to recently that was the last one I thought I’d have a chance with. When I got the call over a week ago I had to say I didn’t remember applying. I didn’t even send a cover letter which shows I really had no hopes for it. It’s an entry level position and comes with training. I can only assume the training was the thing that caught my eye.


At first I was told it would start in July but at the interview she realised she had made a mistake and the role she had in mind for me starts on June 27th. Fuck! It’s all happening so fast. My current boss gave me a glowing reference but now that I told her I have to resign she sounds a bit pissed off. I am giving her notice. But I don’t know if that means I’ll have a bit of overlap with the new job. That’s going to be hard. I’m willing to work up to and including the Monday my new job starts but Tuesday might be stretching it too far. I won’t have any time to sleep! I should have handed it in today. I would of yesterday but it was a public holiday. It’s giving me a bit of a headache.





It’s a funny world but someone I was thinking of calling today ended up calling me. He even asked if there were any shifts at my work. I said, “Yeah mine!” Explaining I’d been offered this new job. I told him how my boss seemed a bit pissed off but if he puts his hand up today or tomorrow it might make things a bit smoother between me and the boss in my last few days. Here’s bloody hoping! I actually talked to the recruiter today saying I was running out of time to give my proper notice. It’s sorted now and I am bloody well starting on the 27th. I realise how hard it is for them to get a replacement and I wouldn’t leave them in the lurch – I think that’s what she thought I was doing – even after telling her I wasn’t she seemed annoyed. I’ve known her for ages and she knows I never wanted to do cleaning so I was a bit disappointed that she wasn’t happy for me. I hope it’s more the suddenness of it all that’s upset her. (I hate people being mad at me!)


My new hours will be 3 to 11pm. Not quite the “day” job I was hoping for but much better in a lot of ways than my current one. It’s a six month contract but full time hours. It’s going to make a huge difference on my resume and to be honest my self-esteem. I’ve always hated telling people what I do.



3 comments:

dan & phi said...

Go Amy Go! Go Amy Go!!

Imagine me chanting that whilst doing the clap a'la Flash Gordon - so happy for you xxx

GarryN said...

Good onya Amy. I am very happy to hear your news and you should be too.
The cleaning company would have people dropping out all the time. At least you told them you aren't coming back.

Square Eyes said...

Cheers guys. As it turned out this morning at work went smoothly. I showed my replacement around. She seemed nicer and a good worker so I have nothing to worry about now. No guilty for leaving a little short of the two weeks notice.